Car and Truck Brakes
It is important to know exactly how your car and truck brakes work. You should also be able to tell when they need repair. This system is an essential part of the vehicle, and its also essential to ensuring that you remain safe on the road.
How do different car brakes work?
Car brakes work by using friction to convert the cars kinetic energy into heat. There are two types of brakes, and they each convert kinetic energy in different ways. The two types are disc brakes and drum brakes. The kind of brakes your car has can depend on the type of car and the year. There are a few steps that need to occur to get rid of the kinetic energy.
- When you press the brake pads, hydraulic fluid is released.
- Hydraulic fluid forces the caliper to press the brake pads against the brake discs.
- This generates the friction needed to convert the energy into heat.
- The two parts of a drum system are the actual brake drum and the brake shoes.
- The drum moves as the wheel does.
- When you press the brake pedal, the cylinder will push the brake shoes, which have linings, against the inside surface of the drum.
- This creates the friction and slows the wheel.
What do different calipers do on a vehicle?
This is just one part of the disc brake system. Cars and trucks can have two or four of these parts, depending on the brake system. A vehicle with disc brakes on both the front and rear tires will have four of these parts. If the car has a drum brake system on the rear tires, it will only have two. Trucks typically need strong calipers. This parts main job is to slow down the cars wheel. There are two types.
- These move in and out around the rotor.
- They have one or two pistons on the inside of the rotor.
- These do not move.
- They have pistons located on either side of the rotor.
When do car brakes need to be replaced?
It is a good idea to have your brakes checked every six months when you have your tires rotated. There are warning signs that your brakes will need to be replaced. A screeching sound or the warning light are good indicators that you may need new brakes.