Chandeliers and Ceiling Fixtures
Adding ceiling lights and chandeliers gives your ceilings a focal point while adding light to your interior space. Chandeliers and ceiling lights with different finishes can pull a room together or give it the finishing touches you are missing. Like other types of lights, there are a variety of different styles and designs to choose from.What types of chandeliers are there?
There are five main types of chandeliers to choose from:
- Tiered: These chandeliers have at least two tiers to them, adding a sense of elegance and grandeur. These lighting fixtures work well for grand entryways and other large rooms.
- Candelabra: These fixtures are styled to look like they hold candles. Some outdoor candelabras are capable of holding real candles while most indoor lighting systems hold fake candles.
- Crystal: Crystal chandeliers can be particularly ornate though some have a smaller number of crystals. When paired with the right decor, the light can bounce off the crystals to create a unique effect.
- Beaded: These chandeliers have been beaded, which can add a fun style to any room. Depending on the materials used, these lights can have a fancier feel or a more casual feel.
- Reversible: These types of chandeliers can be hung right-side-up or upside-down depending on the style and look you are going for.
While chandeliers can add a fun or elegant touch, there are other lights that can be installed in the ceiling to illuminate a room. These types of lights include:
- Flush mount lights: Flush mount lights are designed to hang flat against the ceiling so that they do not take up much head space.
- Fluorescent lights: These lights can illuminate a home while saving the homeowner money as they take less energy to run.
- Pendant lights: Like chandeliers, pendant lights hang from the ceiling but only have one single light source.
- Recessed lighting: These lights are built into the ceiling, allowing them to provide inconspicuous ambient lighting.
- Track lighting: These are lights mounted to a track. They are generally used as accent lighting or tasks lights.
There are several considerations you should make when looking at ceiling lights and chandeliers:
- Finish: The finish of your ceiling lights should match or complement your other interior design elements. Common finishes include copper, antique bronze, oil-rubbed bronze, black iron, and polished or brushed nickel.
- Dimmers: This feature allows you to adjust the lights brightness level depending on your needs.
- Shades: Some pendent lights, chandeliers, and other ceiling lights are designed to have shades. These shades can be made from etched glass, rain glass, Tiffany-style glass, or even linen depending on the style and look you are going for.
- Accessories: You can add additional flair to certain types of pendant lights, chandeliers, and other ceiling lighting by adding medallions to the bases.