Saturn Vue Wheel Hubs & Bearings
Your SUVs hub assembly works together to help your vehicle perform correctly when you drive. Wheel hubs and bearings play an important role in the braking, steering, and suspension systems of your Saturn Vue. You need to maintain them and perform replacements when needed.How often do hub wheel bearings need to be replaced?
Just like many other parts of your Saturn Vue, you need to maintain and replace your hubs and bearings. You should check and maintain your wheel hub system every 25,000 to 30,000 miles. Some wheel bearings will last as many as 150,000 miles. However, most are only good for 85,000 to 100,000 miles. In addition to routine checks and maintenance, you should also be aware of the signs and symptoms that you need a new hub assembly.What symptoms are present if you need a new assembly?
It is important that you pay attention to any changes when driving your Saturn Vue. If you need a new hub system or bearings, you will notice one or more of the following symptoms happening with your car:
- Vibration - Your wheels should not vibrate when driving. If you notice vibration coming from your SUVs wheels, similar to driving on a rumble strip, this can be a sign that you need a new hub assembly. Often, the vibration will intensify when you are driving your car at faster speeds or turning to the direction of the failing side.The vibration is caused by the ball bearings getting worn down and making the axle rotate unevenly.
- Sound - You may also notice a grinding sound coming from around your tires that indicates the need for a new assembly. This noise will increase at faster speeds and when turning. The grinding sound is also from uneven turning and is usually the first noticeable symptom.
- Steering - If you observe that your steering wheel seems looser while you drive, has more play, or isnt as accurate as it previously was, this is often a symptom that a new hub system is needed.
A variety of factors can cause your Vue models wheel hubs or bearings to fail. These factors include:
- Age - Simply being worn down by time and use.
- Contamination - Often, a vehicles wheel bearings will fail due to debris or water getting inside of them, causing the ball bearings to wear down quickly and turn unevenly.
- ABS sensor fail - You will need to replace your wheel bearing and assembly if the ABS sensor located in the hub itself has failed. This is because it is located inside the closed system.
- Poor installation - If your wheel hub system or bearings are not installed correctly, this can cause it to wear down quickly.