Portable Stereos and Boomboxes
eBay has a wide selection of portable stereos and boomboxes available for purchase, so you can enjoy your favorite music at home or on-the-go. Whether new, used, or Certified Refurbished, you can bet you'll find the right item for you.
Buy a Certified Refurbished Portable Stereo or Boombox
Certified Refurbished items are used items renewed by approved eBay sellers. Each Certified Refurbished portable stereo and boombox sold on eBay comes with a like-new guarantee, free return/replacement policy good for 30 days after receiving the product, and a 2-year warranty. We also regularly monitor all our sellers to ensure they're hitting all of our required quality metrics, so all our buyers can shop in confidence.
Notable Boombox Features
Whether you're shopping for something old-school or more modern, boomboxes come loaded with cool features:
- A handle that you can use to carry your boombox around with you.
- One or two cassette tape decks. Back in the boombox's heyday, boombox owners could record tunes from one cassette tape onto another and even record songs from the radio.
- A CD player. Some boomboxes allow for both CD-R and CD-RW discs, which means you can record songs onto a CD from either cassette tapes or the radio.
- Two speakers that sound will blast from, usually at high volume, while it's being played.
- A headphone jack into which you can plug in headphones and listen to your music without bothering others.
- More recent boombox models may also feature a USB port into which you can plug in another device, like an mp3 player.
Boombox Sound Quality
Audio on a boombox is delivered through two attached amplified speakers. As a result, the sound quality is usually very good. You can increase the acoustic quality of a boombox by adding more speakers. The acoustic quality also depends on the condition of the speakers and how high the volume is.
Most boomboxes offer balance controls in addition to standard volume controls. These balance controls enable you to adjust the balance of the sound output so it comes out one side of the boombox more than the other. That means the acoustic quality coming from one speaker will be higher than the other. With a boombox, the acoustic quality is higher when the sound is balanced between both speakers.
How Much Does a Boombox Weigh?
Large vintage boomboxes can weigh up to 26 pounds, but more recently-made large boomboxes are lightweight. Boomboxes can also vary greatly in size, with the smallest ones built for wireless audio weighing two pounds or less